08 April 2006

Ruaha National Park

Mom and I got back yesterday afternoon from our trip to Ruaha. We were grateful to spend a couple of days in this beautiful, wild place.

One of my favorite images from the trip, because you have the river (the park's lifeblood, as one pamphlet put it) and the mountains, which are a primary feature of the park's stunning vistas! :) yeah, J, I just wanted to use the word "vista." If you look closely (or if you click on this image and enlarge it a little on your computer), you will see a group of elephants toward the right that has just crossed the Great Ruaha River. One is just climbing out onto the bank, and one (all the way to the left of the frame) is still hanging out on the other side.

Mom took this at a dry river bed near some public campsites! I would love to go CAMPING in this place! (Becky? J?)


Mom and I, however, spent this trip dining at the posh River Lodge between game drives (...more posh than I remember... leather chairs, folks??).

Plenty of time to relax and look out across the river.


The Liois love their hippos. But...





Be warned.











Kudu. Hard to tell how large they are here. Bulkier than the N. American deer, and with a more taupe coloring. I love the stripes.

Unfortunately, we did not see lions this go 'round.

More photos soon...especially if you leave comments to encourage me! :) Peace out.
What vast and glorious landscapes fill the earth!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL SHOTS! I can't wait to see the total collection when you get home, Joan! Sam, the rugged beauty of this place is just as you've described it! (Minus the posh leather chairs in the fru-fru "safari hotel", of course. :)
Keep 'em comin'! We're all eyes!

Karen & Brian said...

Samantha,

Great pictures. We miss you and we look forward to seeing you when you come home and take your Western New York Tour. It is beautiful and I think it would be an incredible experience to camp out in the African Safari. Sounds like a plan.

Keep up the great posts and we'll do the same.

Cheers,
Brian

Anonymous said...

my favorite is definitely the one of you and the warning sign. even from a billion miles away (a slight exaggeration...) you still make me laugh. :) love and miss you enormously (no exaggeration) samantha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! talk to you later - peace out, yo.
-karis-

Anonymous said...

exactly what kind of liberties would one take the animails, hmmm? Yes! Keep posting more pictures as they're coming...I always enjoy reading your blog, Sam. Although I do want to know whats up with the posh leather chairs in the fancy Safari House,
Marlene

Ben Bacheller said...

Hey Sam, my oh my...those were the days in TZ...well, anyhow, I ended up married to Rebecca Smith because of it...lovin' every moment of it!
Hope all is well!
When do you come back (not that you really WANT to livin' there...)
Ben.